Library Card Policy
Improving and enriching the lives of our users by serving the literacy, educational, and recreational needs of the residents of Iredell County.
Confidentiality of Library User Records
The Iredell County Public Library values the confidentiality of its library users and does not disclose any information about a patron’s account or use of the library, including, but not limited to:
- Any questions directed to library staff.
- Any use of library computers including time and dates used or use of the Internet.
- Items charged to a patrons card.
- Items requested by a patron.
Such records are not to be made available to any person or agency including agencies of state, federal or local government except pursuant to subpoena court order or where otherwise required by law.
Information about items currently checked out to a library user’s account may be made available in the following instances:
- To the parent of a minor under age eighteen.
- To any person whom the library user has given written permission to obtain such information. A valid Library Card or valid picture ID is required each time an inquiry is made about this account by anyone other than the cardholder.
- In response to a subpoena, court order or where otherwise required by law. Any request from law enforcement officers should be referred to the Library Director or Assistant Director.
Basis of Policy
Application for Library Card
You must complete and sign a Library User Agreement to open a library account and receive a library card. Applicants aged 5 - 17 must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign a completed application form. You need to present a form of photo identification to apply for a card
No Current Address
If you do not have photo ID with your current address, you may provide proof of current address or the library card will be mailed to you.
If you are under the age of 18 but are legally emancipated from your parents, you are eligible to apply for a card if you can present photo identification and court documents declaring that you are legally emancipated from your parents.
Non-Resident Annual Fee for Library Card
There is a $20.00 annual fee for a library card for those who do not reside or own property in Iredell County.
Institutions such as assisted living centers, group homes, or childcare facilities may apply for an institutional card. Applications for institutional cards are mailed to applicants to confirm correct address. An application for an institutional card must be signed by an individual that has legal authority to sign agreements for the institution. The institution is responsible for all items charged to the institutional card.
Use of a Library Card
You will need your valid ICPL card/number, NC Cardinal library card, or a student/teacher ID number in order to borrow items or use a public computer.
Non-residents of Iredell County may purchase a guest pass to use a public access computer if they present a valid current photo ID specified in "Forms of Identification for Application."
You should inform staff when your card has been lost or stolen. There is a $2.00 charge for the replacement of a lost or stolen card, and you must present photo identification, or verify identifying information if under 18. You will not be held responsible for items charged to your account if your card has been reported lost or stolen, however all items charged to a card prior to its being reported lost or stolen are your responsibility.
Damaged cards should be returned to the library for replacement. There is no charge for replacement of a damaged card.
Blocks on Use of Card
“Block on Use of Card” means that you may not check out any items from the library until the block is resolved. A library card is blocked from use for a number of reasons, including:
- Expired Card - Cards are valid for a period of three years. You may renew the card in person or on the phone.
- Overdue Fees- exceeding the maximum limit of $20.00.
- Lost Items, damaged item, or debt collect fee- These fees must be paid in full before the block is removed from the account.
- Banned User - You have been banned from the library for violating library policies.